Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Day 100 Baby!!!!!!!


It's been 100 days since my surgery! WOW! Today in physical therapy after much pushing my knee was measured at 105 degrees. I really thought it was going to be more and I almost broke down in tears with frustration when he told me. I look back on my blog at day 23 or day 44 or 55 and think wow if I only knew then what I know now. This has been a struggle to say the least. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I'm getting better. Slow going but at least getting better. I am still using my ice machine when I sleep. I am working so very hard on my exercises. My ankle is a bit of a concern but with my continued efforts, it will be just fine.
Stay tuned. 80 more days and I can run? Cross your fingers!

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you for sharing your PCL journey. My 17 year old son had PCL reconstructive surgery 2 days ago. It was so helpful to read your experience. Thanks!

Skinnygurl said...

He is in for a rough ride Linda and I wish him the very best. Please stay in touch and let me know how he's doing. I plan to keep this updated. I'm glad you found it helpful. That's why I work on it.
Thanks for the note, I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

Hi skinnygurl! I had a PCL/MCL reconstruction on October 31, 2007. The PCL was done arthroscopically using a double bundle cadaver Achilles tendon. I named it "Sven." The MCL was repaired in an open procedure, with a 4.5" scar. I'm just about 9 months post-op (with an intervening manipulation and debridement in March 2008 to get rid of a bunch of scar tissue). At this point I'm taking 2-3 indoor spinning classes each week and riding outdoors up to 30 miles at a time. I can walk up and down stairs (not very pretty) and can handle a light jog on level ground. I am going to participate in Cycle Oregon The Weekend this upcoming Sat and Sun. I expect to ride at least 40 miles each day. I kept a log for my own purposes since my initial arthroscopic surgery in March 2007. I would love to share it with you and can email as a Word document, if you want to read what I went through. Your recovery sounds great, but I'm sorry that you are still having pain. My innner knee pain resolved about a month ago (6 months post-op). I hope you get similar relief soon. As for Linda's son, just make sure he does what his surgeon and therapists tell him to do (and not do). I can't imagine being 17 and going through this! I believe keeping the lower leg supported at all times was crucial to my reconstruction success, and kept the graft from stretching. My knee is completely stable with no discernable laxity, even more so than my non-operative leg.

Skinnygurl said...

Molly! Thank you for offering me a copy of your journal. I would absolutely love that. Please do. My address to send it is:
sprinter2fun@hotmail.com

I saw my surgeon yesterday and going to physical therapy with new orders this morning so be on the lookout for an update later today or tomorrow! Thank you again Molly! I look forward to your journal.
Pam